Just kidding, no one’s on myspace anymore. Except sexual predators. Are you a sexual predator? If so, please don’t follow me. On myspace or anywhere else.
- Week 40: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
I want to welcome back guest writer Peter Papachronopoulos who penned this week’s installment of Odd Jobs. He’s a funny guy and if you like his stuff here, feel free to check out his website: http://theloweststair.wordpress.com/. But enough of that, let’s get onto the column. Odd job: Holiday puppet show Pay: $60 A fateful[...]
- Week 39: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Selling my old DVDs Pay: $35 I had just finished telling the children at the after-school program where I work about the toy I spent two years saving up to buy as a kid. A toy I absolutely adored and used to play with all the time. And now Doug, a scruffy-haired second[...]
- Week 38: No Really, Why You… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Giving Blood Pay: $100 Both sides take a leap of faith when you reply to a Craigslist job offer. The job posters are trusting that you will show up and do the work, while you are trusting that, when you arrive, whoever posted the ad won’t tie you up and sacrifice you to[...]
- Week 37: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Serving on a “jury” Pay: $150 This is a trial. It’s not Jack Nicholson hollering at Tom Cruise that he can’t handle the truth. It’s not Joe Pesci asking about two utes. It is boring lawyers and uncomfortable chairs and court-provided free lunches that taste like legal pads. “You have been brought in[...]
- Week 36: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
One day, I was doing what all writers do when they sit down to write: scrolling through my news feed on Facebook. My friend, Daniel Ferris, had posted something like, “I am bored and feel like it’s time to do what any self-indulgent liberal arts major with too much free time on his hands does:[...]
- Week 35: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Between the cartoonish pictures, the bizarre alignment job on the title and the phrase “There is some opportunities,” it felt less like a call to civic duty and more like something a nine-year-old would design. But poor job posting or not, I still found myself at a polling station on election day, my eyes[...]
- Week 34: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
I am very excited to announce that today’s column is penned by Peter Papachronopoulos (whose last name nearly detonated my spell check). He is a funny person and talented writer so I had been hoping to nab him as a guest columnist for quite some time. When he agreed to write the piece and then[...]
- Week 33: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Writing a letter of recommendation for someone I had never met Pay: $7 “I was recently laid off.” Peter Randall’s job posting explained. “A neuropsychiatrist I worked for says he has ‘super high praise’ for me and would like to write an amazing letter of recommendation… but he wants me to write it.”[...]
- Week 32: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Playing poker over the summer Pay: $3500 in profit There is perhaps no time when I am less fun to talk to than after losing at poker. I only half-listen to my friends as they talk, and I speak with an anger that has nothing to do with our conversation, and everything[...]
- Week 31: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Participating in a research study on reaction times Pay: $20 Just past Harvard Square, Massachusetts Avenue forks twice in the span of ten seconds. I have driven this stretch a thousand times. I know these forks confound my GPS. And yet, just like always, I make the wrong turn, sending me away[...]
- Renee about Are You Okay?I'm glad that you are ok, sad for those who are forever changed by this direct hit and still trying ...
- scott moore about Are You Okay?Well said Jonathan.
- about Are You Okay?Thank you for sharing this. I am glad you are OK.
- Cristina Pucelli about Are You Okay?Well said Jonathan. I am glad you're ok. I miss you. <3
- Bruce Mehler about Are You Okay?Very nicely put, Jonathan. And I am glad you are ok.
- Margi about Are You Okay?This is breaktakingly beautiful. I came here because Linda Holmes @nprmonkeysee tweeted a link to this post and I'm so ...
- Leonard Marks about Week 26: Why You Should Nev…great post
- Leonard Marks about Week 24: Why You Should Nev…great post
- Caryn about Week 28: Why You Should Nev…It's Molly's friend Caryn from Queens. She showed this to me. I love! (I promise I'm not creepy) Looking ...
- John about Week 28: Why You Should Nev…Perhaps there are more young people and, for example, less middle age people in the 95th percentile, meaning that the ...