Just kidding, no one’s on myspace anymore. Except sexual predators. Are you a sexual predator? If so, please don’t follow me. On myspace or anywhere else.
- Week 47: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Dressing as conjoined twins Pay: $250 My friend and I stand in the middle of a convention center, the two of us squeezed into one jumbo-sized T-shirt, playing the role of conjoined twins for the amusement of the passersby. At this point I don’t even find these gigs strange. They are just normal.[...]
- Week 46: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Asking to pay less Pay: Savings of over $60 a month How often do we really haggle with someone? Maybe when we buy a car. Or a house. Maybe once every couple years. We’re always told not to settle for the first offer, but man do we do a lot of settling. But[...]
- Week 45: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Making balloon animals in downtown Boston Pay: -$70 The real victims of the time I learned how to make balloon animals were my roommates. Our apartment overflowed with deformed flowers and guitars that looked like strap-on dildos. The constant nails-on-chalkboard sound of balloons rubbing against each other was only interrupted by the[...]
- Week 44: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Perhaps the best job listing I ever saw was from a man who needed help scheduling a time for a doctor’s appointment. It read, “Please take a doctor’s appointment for us. Take 2-3 times from the doctor and check with me to see what works best. Once confirmed with me, confirm with the doctor and[...]
- Week 43: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Marching in the Bunker Hill Day Parade Pay: $100 You may not believe this, but I’m not famous. I know what you’re thinking: A 27-year-old who spends a rather inordinate amount of his time in pajamas, cranking out blog entries that are primarily read by his friends and family, how is this guy[...]
- Week 42: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Sampling Health Products at Whole Foods Pay: $1300 over the course of a couple months “So what is this?” A mousy woman asks as she peers into our display at a local Whole Foods. “It’s called Origins,” says Pete, the man training me for my latest odd job. “We sell cold-pressed, organic, non-pasteurized[...]
- Week 41: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Participating in the student-faculty basketball game Pay: When you consider my hourly rate and how long we were on the court, probably about $12 It was one minute to game time and my heart was racing. My hands shook and my stomach turned. I hadn’t felt this nervous in years. I was moments[...]
- Week 40: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
I want to welcome back guest writer Peter Papachronopoulos who penned this week’s installment of Odd Jobs. He’s a funny guy and if you like his stuff here, feel free to check out his website: http://theloweststair.wordpress.com/. But enough of that, let’s get onto the column. Odd job: Holiday puppet show Pay: $60 A fateful[...]
- Week 39: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Selling my old DVDs Pay: $35 I had just finished telling the children at the after-school program where I work about the toy I spent two years saving up to buy as a kid. A toy I absolutely adored and used to play with all the time. And now Doug, a scruffy-haired second[...]
- Week 38: No Really, Why You… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Giving Blood Pay: $100 Both sides take a leap of faith when you reply to a Craigslist job offer. The job posters are trusting that you will show up and do the work, while you are trusting that, when you arrive, whoever posted the ad won’t tie you up and sacrifice you to[...]
- jacob about Week 42: Why You Should Nev…Hi, I’ve been recently a lurker close to your blog for a few months. I love this article along with ...
- Renee about Are You Okay?I'm glad that you are ok, sad for those who are forever changed by this direct hit and still trying ...
- scott moore about Are You Okay?Well said Jonathan.
- about Are You Okay?Thank you for sharing this. I am glad you are OK.
- Cristina Pucelli about Are You Okay?Well said Jonathan. I am glad you're ok. I miss you. <3
- Bruce Mehler about Are You Okay?Very nicely put, Jonathan. And I am glad you are ok.
- Margi about Are You Okay?This is breaktakingly beautiful. I came here because Linda Holmes @nprmonkeysee tweeted a link to this post and I'm so ...
- Caryn about Week 28: Why You Should Nev…It's Molly's friend Caryn from Queens. She showed this to me. I love! (I promise I'm not creepy) Looking ...
- John about Week 28: Why You Should Nev…Perhaps there are more young people and, for example, less middle age people in the 95th percentile, meaning that the ...