Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.
- The Next Odd Job: Writing a Book by miraclewhip
“Hey Jonathan,” you say. “It’s been awhile since your last post.” “Well, hypothetical person, that’s because I’m done. Week 52 was my final entry. I figure 52 weeks is a full year, so that’s a pretty good place to call it quits.” “So that’s it?! You’re just leaving Odd Jobs behind? What about all your[...]
- Week 50: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Let me tell you about Denise. You got your girlfriend flowers for Valentine’s Day? Ha. You got your boyfriend tickets to a basketball game? Psh. Denise hired someone to come to her boyfriend’s place at 8:00 AM and serenade him with a rendition of “Kiss You” by the band One Direction. Now let me tell[...]
- Week 48: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Denny The Dentist’s office was about what you’d expect from a company with such a classy name. Their door was adorned by a cartoon tooth triumphantly holding a toothbrush and giving a sparkling white smile. It was the kind of picture that was cute and charming until you started thinking about the idea of a[...]
- Week 47: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
My friend and I stand in the middle of a convention center, the two of us squeezed into one jumbo-sized T-shirt, playing the role of conjoined twins for the amusement of the passersby. At this point I don’t even find these gigs strange. They are just normal. This is my Friday.
- Week 46: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
How often do we really haggle with someone? Maybe when we buy a car. Or a house. Maybe once every couple years. We’re always told not to settle for the first offer, but man do we do a lot of settling. But this week I decided to start asking. Asking if I could have things[...]
- Week 45: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
The real victims of the time I learned how to make balloon animals were my roommates. Our apartment overflowed with deformed flowers and guitars that looked like strap-on dildos. The constant nails-on-chalkboard sound of balloons rubbing against each other was only interrupted by the gunshot sound of balloons bursting. The place stank of rubber. But[...]
- Week 43: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
You may not believe this, but I’m not famous. I know what you’re thinking: A 27-year-old who spends a rather inordinate amount of his time in pajamas, cranking out blog entries that are primarily read by his friends and family, how is this guy not famous? I know. It’s crazy.
- Week 42: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
“So what is this?” A mousy woman asks as she peers into our display at a local Whole Foods. “It’s called Origins,” says Pete, the man training me for my latest odd job. “We sell cold-pressed, organic, non-pasteurized juices.” Cold-pressed means the beverages are formed by applying an extreme amount of pressure to produce, then[...]
- Week 41: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Participating in the student-faculty basketball game Pay: When you consider my hourly rate and how long we were on the court, probably about $12 It was one minute to game time and my heart was racing. My hands shook and my stomach turned. I hadn’t felt this nervous in years. I was moments[...]
- Odd Jobs by miraclewhip
Welcome to Odd Jobs. Every week, I’ll do something new to try to pay the bills or make ends meet, then blog about it. If I give plasma to earn a few bucks, you’ll read about it here. If I become an insane couponer to save money, you’ll read about it here. And even when[...]
- miraclewhip about Week 50: Why You Should Nev…Thanks Tristan. Believe me, there is no one who more wants a video of this than me. The girl who …
- Tristan about Week 50: Why You Should Nev…Story's such as this make me wish there was a video, in fact I say we should always have a …
- jacob about Week 42: Why You Should Nev…Hi, I’ve been recently a lurker close to your blog for a few months. I love this article along with …
- Renee about Are You Okay?I'm glad that you are ok, sad for those who are forever changed by this direct hit and still trying …
- scott moore about Are You Okay?Well said Jonathan.
- about Are You Okay?Thank you for sharing this. I am glad you are OK.
- Cristina Pucelli about Are You Okay?Well said Jonathan. I am glad you're ok. I miss you. <3
- Bruce Mehler about Are You Okay?Very nicely put, Jonathan. And I am glad you are ok.
- Margi about Are You Okay?This is breaktakingly beautiful. I came here because Linda Holmes @nprmonkeysee tweeted a link to this post and I'm so …