- Week 50: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Singing One Direction to Someone’s Boyfriend on Valentine’s Day Pay: $40 Let me tell you about Denise. You got your girlfriend flowers for Valentine’s Day? Ha. You got your boyfriend tickets to a basketball game? Psh. Denise hired someone to come to her boyfriend’s place at 8:00 AM and serenade him with a[...]
- Week 49: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Shoveling Snow Pay: $44 For most kids, snow days were about sledding and hot cocoa. For me, they were about money. Starting at age eleven, every time it snowed, I would go door-to-door offering my shoveling services, and frequently clearing $150 for five or so hours of hard work. This year, when it[...]
- Week 48: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Mystery shopper Pay: $20 plus expenses Denny The Dentist’s office was about what you’d expect from a company with such a classy name. Their door was adorned by a cartoon tooth triumphantly holding a toothbrush and giving a sparkling white smile. It was the kind of picture that was cute and charming until[...]
- Week 47: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Dressing as conjoined twins Pay: $250 My friend and I stand in the middle of a convention center, the two of us squeezed into one jumbo-sized T-shirt, playing the role of conjoined twins for the amusement of the passersby. At this point I don’t even find these gigs strange. They are just normal.[...]
- Week 46: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Asking to pay less Pay: Savings of over $60 a month How often do we really haggle with someone? Maybe when we buy a car. Or a house. Maybe once every couple years. We’re always told not to settle for the first offer, but man do we do a lot of settling. But[...]
- Week 45: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Making balloon animals in downtown Boston Pay: -$70 The real victims of the time I learned how to make balloon animals were my roommates. Our apartment overflowed with deformed flowers and guitars that looked like strap-on dildos. The constant nails-on-chalkboard sound of balloons rubbing against each other was only interrupted by the[...]
- Week 44: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Perhaps the best job listing I ever saw was from a man who needed help scheduling a time for a doctor’s appointment. It read, “Please take a doctor’s appointment for us. Take 2-3 times from the doctor and check with me to see what works best. Once confirmed with me, confirm with the doctor and[...]
- Week 43: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Marching in the Bunker Hill Day Parade Pay: $100 You may not believe this, but I’m not famous. I know what you’re thinking: A 27-year-old who spends a rather inordinate amount of his time in pajamas, cranking out blog entries that are primarily read by his friends and family, how is this guy[...]
- Week 42: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Sampling Health Products at Whole Foods Pay: $1300 over the course of a couple months “So what is this?” A mousy woman asks as she peers into our display at a local Whole Foods. “It’s called Origins,” says Pete, the man training me for my latest odd job. “We sell cold-pressed, organic, non-pasteurized[...]
- Week 41: Why You Should Nev… by miraclewhip
Odd Job: Participating in the student-faculty basketball game Pay: When you consider my hourly rate and how long we were on the court, probably about $12 It was one minute to game time and my heart was racing. My hands shook and my stomach turned. I hadn’t felt this nervous in years. I was moments[...]
- miraclewhip about Week 50: Why You Should Nev…Thanks Tristan. Believe me, there is no one who more wants a video of this than me. The girl who ...
- Tristan about Week 50: Why You Should Nev…Story's such as this make me wish there was a video, in fact I say we should always have a ...
- jacob about Week 42: Why You Should Nev…Hi, I’ve been recently a lurker close to your blog for a few months. I love this article along with ...
- Renee about Are You Okay?I'm glad that you are ok, sad for those who are forever changed by this direct hit and still trying ...
- scott moore about Are You Okay?Well said Jonathan.
- about Are You Okay?Thank you for sharing this. I am glad you are OK.
- Cristina Pucelli about Are You Okay?Well said Jonathan. I am glad you're ok. I miss you. <3
- Bruce Mehler about Are You Okay?Very nicely put, Jonathan. And I am glad you are ok.
- Margi about Are You Okay?This is breaktakingly beautiful. I came here because Linda Holmes @nprmonkeysee tweeted a link to this post and I'm so ...
- Caryn about Week 28: Why You Should Nev…It's Molly's friend Caryn from Queens. She showed this to me. I love! (I promise I'm not creepy) Looking ...